Duration: 18 months - NQF Level: 5
The aim of the Certificate in Early Childhood Development (CECD) Programme is to provide an opportunity and appropriate training for ECD students so that all children in Namibia at Pre-school level have access to well trained staff that offer suitable and appropriate services at ECD centres.
This programme is designed to enable students to:
- Improve knowledge and understanding of how to care for children in their developmental stages.
- Provide a safe nurturing and loving environment for the children.
- Use available resources constructively, creatively and effectively.
- Ensure national uniformity of the programme followed at the ECD centres.
- Understand the significance of a child’s development.
- Develop a lively, questioning, appreciative and creative intellect in a child.
- Develop a positive self-esteem through social interaction, as well as self-confidence and understanding of the world a child lives in.
- Provide for the child’s individual needs and aptitudes.
- Promote and foster the highest moral and ethical values within a child.
Who May Apply?
Educarers in the Industry and members of the general public who would like to pursue a career in this field.
- A Grade 10 Certificate plus NIED Basic Caregivers Course plus NIED Advanced Caregivers Course OR
- A Special Grade 10 Certificate plus preparatory Educare OR
- A Grade 10 Certificate with experience as a national ECD Trainer
- A Grade 12 Certificate with a minimum of 20 points on the Ministry of Education point scale plus an E-symbol in English.
The programme consists of 12 Modules:
- Early Childhood Development within the Namibian context
- Management and Administration
- Hygiene and Safety
- Foundation of ICT Literacy
- Nutrition and Health
- Development Areas and Stages of the Child
- Basic Word Processing
- Learning Areas:Part A
- Learning Areas:Part B